[Mageia-dev] Will this work for a build system?

R James upsnag2 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 26 07:26:18 CEST 2010

On Sat, Sep 25, 2010 at 10:56 PM, herman <herman at aeronetworks.ca> wrote:
> On Sat, 2010-09-25 at 10:44 -0700, R James wrote:
>> Yeah, if I move the physical server about 2 miles. I can plug it into
>> a better ISP.
> BTW, I once calculated (test plus extrapolation) how long it would take
> to rebuild every package in Mandriva on a low end 2 GHz Celeron server
> that I had available and it came to about 80 days.
>
> Usually one won't rebuild every package all in one go, but one has to do
> that the first time.  So, a build system needs to be a big ass piece of
> iron, otherwise it will be frustrating to use.

Perhaps I was naive in thinking that compiling the distro could be
done with distcc or even a simple queuing system that distributes
SRPMs to nodes in the community swarm.  As each node returns its
completed binary package, the queuing system could send it another
SRPM to build.

It would be cool if it could be done that way.  Why pay for data
center space, hardware, electricity and big bandwidth when you could
have a community-provided "cloud" for free? :o)