[Mageia-dev] So?

Hoyt Duff hoytduff at gmail.com
Tue Sep 28 22:23:40 CEST 2010

On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 3:08 PM, Lucien-Henry Horvath <tempo2 at marneau.eu> wrote:

> Who is the team who decide the rules like : to put TXT format and not HTML
> format in the mail of the list ? Or to speak only in english ? Or to do only
> RPM and not DEB ? This 3 late days, I have only seen this kind of movement.

These are very generic arguments such that they are common to almost
very FOSS discussion as are the traditional arguments of emacs vs. vi
or Mac vs. PC or even email etiquette . That these types of arguments
continue supports to the conclusion that they are 1) unresolvable and
2) unimportant in the bigger picture.While fun, they are best avoided.

As  I understand it, those doing the "grunt"' work are busy
establishing the infrastructure that will permit Mageia to be
launched. They need our patience and our support.

Since Mageia is a fork of Mandriva, the initial release --as best as I
can tell from what I've read-- will be made as soon as possible and
will likely be Mandriva2010.1 (or cooker) with cosmetic changes and
likely the elimination of unmaintained or problematic packages.

Given all that, it would probably be most productive for most of us
here, if not directly involved in the dad-to-day mechanics of creating
Mageia, to:
1) contribute financially if and when possible
2) volunteer to maintain packages
3) volunteer to maintain documentation
4) provide input on logos, icons and artwork
5) save our ideas of the "ultimate" software, desktop environments and
packaging managers until after the initial release when they can be be
debated and acted upon in a productive manner.

--
Hoyt