[Mageia-dev] Identifying Target Markets

Kira elegant.pegasus at gmail.com
Thu Sep 30 16:35:09 CEST 2010

在 Thu, 30 Sep 2010 22:18:08 +0800, Samuel Verschelde
<stormi at laposte.net>寫道:

> Le jeudi 30 septembre 2010 16:05:26, Kira a écrit :
>> So, what's the difference Mageia had toward other distribution?
>
> "Simple to use yet powerful" :
> - newbie-friendly (yes ubuntu is on this market, but to me Mandriva does
> it better)
> - powerful
> - comprehensive (many packages available in many fields)
>
> Then nothing prevents from saying also, for example :
> "Mageia, ideal for music making", with news, screenshots, people sharing
> their experience, howtos...
> "Mageia, easy yet powerful on servers", ...
>
> You said nothing about my concern that Mandriva may be seen only as,
> say, a distribution for education. What about that ?

All purpose means no one knows what the distro wants to do.

Making a specific version for education/small business or whatever

won't makes the distro seems only focus on one thing, but a proof of

full feature OS.

The point is: you have to emphasis something different, not something

others also owns/easily achieved/already well-implemented/advertised.

I don't agree with the way ubuntu flushing the whole board of different

purpose but actually same thing strategy, but it does makes people knows

what to choose to fit their need, which is important to makes people

accept your product.

We do have to find a place in the market slice, or no one would care

about who you are. All-purpose is great, but not for people who is
unfamiliar

to our distro:

It's too vague and not attractive since no one knows your strength.