[Mageia-dev] How will be the realese cycle?

Michael Scherer misc at zarb.org
Sat Oct 2 12:33:05 CEST 2010

Le vendredi 01 octobre 2010 à 23:16 +0200, Olivier Méjean a écrit :
> Le vendredi 1 octobre 2010 22:57:06, Maarten Vanraes a écrit :
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > i don't understand, if you click the applet every time there's an update,
> >  then when there's a new version, the you also click the applet and it
> >  updates... there isn't any real difference from a user pov...
> >

> Have you ever tried ? I did once and broken (don't remeber when, 2009 → 2009.1
> maybe)

I do it for my server and it work. Now, that doesn't mean that it will
work for everything, but as most packagers know, that's not a so easy
task. And since no enough tests on this part are done ( ie, the QA test
upgrade from default installation, some people test their own upgrade,
but that's not enough ), there is possibly undetected bugs.

Now the question is if people do not test version upgrade and report
bugs, what make you think that a "rolling release" will be different ?

More ever, since there is no real version to start the upgrade, how do
you expect the packager to reproduce all upgrades bugs reports if they
have to downgrade to a specific version of the distribution ( by
specific being "a snapshot of all rpms installed" ) ?

> And also it does not answer for OOo 3.2 not being available for Mandriva 2010
>
> And finally, why waiting for a new version to update, can't it be done
> regularly ?

This requires work, that's simple. As I said numerous time in the past,
thing do not happen by magic, someone has to do it. So far, I am quite
unconvinced by the need to upgrade open office, vs the sheer amount of
work this could mean. So you will need to convince someone else than me
to do the work, or become a packager and do it yourself ( and take care
of bug reports ).

--
Michael Scherer