[Mageia-dev] How will be the realese cycle?

Fernando Parra gato2707 at yahoo.com.mx
Tue Oct 5 02:40:58 CEST 2010

On Fri, 1 Oct 2010 20:03:41 +0200
Olivier Méjean <omejean-Qt13gs6zZMY at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> Le vendredi 1 octobre 2010 08:51:34, atilla ontas a écrit :
> > I'm just wondering if we follow Mandriva's release cycle model. Every
> > 6th months a release or one year and one release. I think we should
> > make one release in one year. By doing so devs and translators won't
> > be in rush in every 6 months. Also there are major changes like
> > systemd/upstart; those system related things will be more mature in a
> > year to use. It makes the distro more stable and decraese mirrors
> > space waste.
> >
> > One more thing. Do we follow Mandriva's release naming scheme? I.e. do
> > we call our first release 2011.x ? I don't like this naming scheme and
> > suggesting using number of release as naming like Mageia 1.0 or using
> > code names.
> >
> > What's your opinion?
> >

> What about a rolling distribution ? As an user (just plain user) I do not
> think that installing a distribution is a goal, just a mean to use my
> computer, so  wish i could not spend time installing a distribution every 6
> months or every year.
>

> --
> Olivier Méjean
> Président de l'Association des Utilisateurs Francophones de Mandriva Linux
> http://mandrivafr.org
> twitter : obagoom
> identi.ca : goom

Could we have a different approach?

As a computers professional I love the idea of upgrading my distro's version every 6 months, but as a teacher, I simply can't do that, (maybe I only can do that every two years)

But in my two personalities I want (and in determinated circumstances I simply need them) some programs running in its latest versions

A different approach could be a "light rolling distro", let me explain. A distro with a selected number of programs updated regular as their new versions are available.

Other distros are now trying this model, only for browsers as I now.

We can run a poll for select what are the programs in that list, and then the devel team must tell us what programs can be upgraded due technical reasons and what programs can't do.

My own favourites list is:

Openoffice (LibreOficce?)
Firefox
Chromium-Browser
Gimp
Netbeans
Gambas2
Lazarus/fpc
VLC
Openshot
Wine

Note that I'm not mentioning in the list any program that directly depends (or be developed) for a GNome or KDE projects, because it's really could be a problem talking on technical issues.

Regards from México

--
 <gato2707 at yahoo.com.mx>