[Mageia-dev] Talk of Browsers

andré andr55 at laposte.net
Wed Oct 6 22:11:57 CEST 2010

Marc Paré a écrit :

>> Usually the more the extensions you have the
>> heavier/more-ram/more-startup-time firefox gets (and the last time I
>> used AdBlock Plus, about 10 months ago, it leaked memory...). Also
>> it's not useful all over, I think I can do without it if I have
>> noscript installed, (now what would you say if noscript is installed
>> by default?).
>>
>> IMHO, I think no extra extensions should be installed by default, the
>> user should make a choice of which ones he wants (and installing any
>> extensions by default without the "user's consent" isn't ideal too, if
>> it's going to impact the performance of Firefox).
>>

> I agree, I think the user should be in charge of the extensions. How
> many of us have heard people say that "Hey, I never installed the
> Yahoo! bar!" or "Hey, I never installed Safari!". Users are
> knowledgeable enough to make up their own mind on extensions. Browser
> use is generally a user specific preference.
>
> If Mageia is going to focus more on being a good KDE distro, then it
> should go along with the defaults with KDE -- Kmail/Konqueror. But, if
> Mageia is to decide on a "flagship" choice of browser, I think that
> most computer users these days know of Firefox and this would be a
> good/safe choice to use as a Mageia endorsed/default browser, but
> without any extensions pre-installed.
>
> The user can tailor his preferences later on depending on his/her
> browser choice.
>

> Marc
Personally I use Gnome, so I would rather that Mageia would not become
too KDE-centric.  (Actually I use Mozilla Seamonkey instead of Mozilla
Firefox, but that is another question.)
If Kmail/Konqueror is installed by default, then the enormous KDE
libraries must be installed, all of which I (or any other Gnome user)
will have to remove.
If there is a default browser installed, is much better if it is
KDE/Gnome agnostic, like Firefox.
(i.e. does not require either KDE or Gnome.)

As far as extensions go, I agree to leave that to the user.  With
Mozilla (Firefox or Thunderbird or Seamonkey), any extension can be
installed from inside the program, with a few clics.  Even saves making
any RPMs for the extensions.
(I would make localisation extensions an exception.)

- André (andre999)