[Mageia-dev] A new office suite ?

Marc Paré marc at marcpare.com
Thu Oct 7 02:20:54 CEST 2010

Le 2010-10-06 15:48, Florian Hubold a écrit :
> Am 29.09.2010 21:12, schrieb Ahmad Samir:
>>>>
>>> we can have both packages :)
>>>
>>> --
>>> Michael Scherer
>>>
>> Nooo! unless you want the guy maintaining the go-oo/libreoffice
>> packages to commit suicide :)
>>
>> (Imagine having two bears running loose :)).
> @misc:
> If you have ever tried to rebuild/package the whole OOo, then you wouldn't
> put that out so lightly. Ahmad really has a point there. Full OOo takes
> up to 24
> hours building time and space requirements are in the region of 20-35 GB
> IIRC
> on a desktop machine.
>
> So definitely every OfficeSuite should have at least a small team of
> maintainers,
> at least thats my opinion, from having helped Ghiuseppe Ghibo ironing out
> some packaging/compiling quirks, that was back with OOo 2.2/3/4.
> I think it didn't get much slimmer since then.
>
> BTW, i'm all for LibreOffice!
>
> Regards
>
> Florian Hubold

If you read about who has signed on to the LibO project, it leaves no
doubt, that once organized, LibreOffice is the package to offer. You can
find the supporters here (more are coming!):
http://www.documentfoundation.org/supporters/

I would vote to offer the LibO as is right from the start. It is working
well for me, and it looks like they are quite organized, they will have
a final product out in no time. They have a lot of user/dev help.

They have discussion groups on Gmane as well as many mailists on the go.

Marc