[Mageia-dev] How will be the realese cycle?

Buchan Milne bgmilne at multilinks.com
Thu Oct 7 11:26:33 CEST 2010

On Wednesday, 6 October 2010 16:02:59 Eatdirt wrote:
> On 06/10/10 15:09, Buchan Milne wrote:
> > And if you need one specific new package, you will need to upgrade the
> > majority of your distribution ...
> > And it is only useful to<  1% of the global population.
> >
> > We don't want the entire Mageia userbase to be almost identical to the
> > number of people who actually run cooker.
>
> I agree with all your comments; but I also think that this is very sexy.
> Gentoo is doing this kind of stuff no?

Do you think we should make Gentoo users the only target market?

Sorry, but I don't know anyone who runs Gentoo anymore, most of them got fed
up because every time they wanted to install something, many other packages
had to be rebuilt. Trying to support new users on it is difficult, because
almost everyone's installation is different.

> If all pro around are against this, I think we should at least be able
> to upgrade a version directly from urpmi without the boot iso CD story!

Well, this has been possible since at least Mandrake 9.0, maybe even before
(8.1? 8.2?), and since about 2009.0 has been available even without using the
command line.

So, I don't see what you are arguing for ...

Regards,
Buchan