[Mageia-dev] How will be the realese cycle?

Samuel Verschelde stormi at laposte.net
Thu Oct 7 11:36:41 CEST 2010

Le jeudi 7 octobre 2010 11:20:04, Buchan Milne a écrit :
> The fact that almost no-one on this list seems to have known about backports
> at all doesn't mean that the backports feature is not useful, it may be that
> it wasn't accessible enough to end users.

+1

> Now, maybe the user interface needs to be improved. For example, maybe there
> should be no dropdown box, but instead when searching for a package by name,
> it should show you all the versions:

> Find: | digikam         | In: ->Graphical applications   |By: ->Package Name
> Package|                |Status                          | Action
> +digikam                |Security update recommended     |Update            |
> - 1.3.0-1mdv            |Installed                       |Uninstall         |
> - 1.3.0-1.1mdv          |Security Update                 |Update            |
> - 1.4.0-4mdv            |Unsupported upgrade (backport)  |Upgrade           |

> digikam - A KDE ........

+1

> Alternatively, maybe a "What's new" view?

Oh yes, let's do it !

> Maybe a rating/voting/popularity system should be available, however in the
> past people had complained about privacy issues, which I think may have
> resulted in little effort being put into completion of drakstats.
>
> So, maybe a web site should also be developed, which allows users to also
> access package rating information, and which provides some kind of
> installation feature.

Yes this web site could :
- allow package rating
- show download stats (if possible)
- show recent versions updates (with the highest rating packages more visible than an obscure lib :))
- allow backport / new package requests (I know, bugzilla used to be the place where you did that previously, but can't we find a way to link both). This way packagers would have more visibility on the user's needs.

> I think one problem Mandriva had was that users refused to believe that:
> -Mandriva was open
> -Contributors could easily improve the distribution
> -Mandriva probably already had most of what they wanted, and if it didn't,
> they should do what they can do to help
>
> For example, many people complained about bugs that get no attention, but *1*
> contributor managed to change that perception to some extent. However, if more
> people contributed, more bugs would actually be fixed.
>
> Mandriva the company may have been a barrier to contribution to some, and I
> think one of the most important aspects of Mageia is ensuring that
> contributors know exactly what happens to their contribution, and knowing that
> the financial state of a company does not impact the future availability of
> the project to which they contributed.

OK, buchan, how do we start ? Shall we put improvements proposals (UI, website, ...) on the wiki, on
http://mageia.org/wiki/doku.php?id=rollingdebate ?

> The problem is to make it *easier* for users to get new versions of software,
> not to force everyone to upgrade constantly.

+1

Samuel