[Mageia-dev] How will be the realese cycle?

Romain d'Alverny rdalverny at gmail.com
Thu Oct 7 12:10:11 CEST 2010

On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 11:36, Samuel Verschelde <stormi at laposte.net> wrote:
> Le jeudi 7 octobre 2010 11:20:04, Buchan Milne a écrit :
>> Maybe a rating/voting/popularity system should be available, however in the
>> past people had complained about privacy issues, which I think may have
>> resulted in little effort being put into completion of drakstats.
>>
>> So, maybe a web site should also be developed, which allows users to also
>> access package rating information, and which provides some kind of
>> installation feature.
>
> Yes this web site could :
> - allow package rating
> - show download stats (if possible)
> - show recent versions updates (with the highest rating packages more visible than an obscure lib :))
> - allow backport / new package requests (I know, bugzilla used to be the place where you did that previously, but can't we find a way to link both). This way packagers would have more visibility on the user's needs.

You describe quite what Kiosk was designed for (and what most App
Store are nowadays anyway).

> OK, buchan, how do we start ? Shall we put improvements proposals (UI, website, ...) on the wiki, on
> http://mageia.org/wiki/doku.php?id=rollingdebate ?

No, these are two different things. Above wiki page is for stating a
perceived problem, and detailing what people view should be (or not
be) done.

Stating the need for, and specifying/scratching a web-based (or
semi-web-based) UI for a socially augmented software library is
another thing.

Romain