[Mageia-dev] How will be the realese cycle?

Samuel Verschelde stormi at laposte.net
Thu Oct 7 13:27:56 CEST 2010

Le jeudi 7 octobre 2010 12:10:11, Romain d'Alverny a écrit :

> On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 11:36, Samuel Verschelde <stormi at laposte.net> wrote:
> > Le jeudi 7 octobre 2010 11:20:04, Buchan Milne a écrit :
> >> Maybe a rating/voting/popularity system should be available, however in the
> >> past people had complained about privacy issues, which I think may have
> >> resulted in little effort being put into completion of drakstats.
> >>
> >> So, maybe a web site should also be developed, which allows users to also
> >> access package rating information, and which provides some kind of
> >> installation feature.
> >
> > Yes this web site could :
> > - allow package rating
> > - show download stats (if possible)
> > - show recent versions updates (with the highest rating packages more visible than an obscure lib :))
> > - allow backport / new package requests (I know, bugzilla used to be the place where you did that previously, but can't we find a way to link both). This way packagers would have more visibility on the user's needs.
>
> You describe quite what Kiosk was designed for (and what most App
> Store are nowadays anyway).
>
> > OK, buchan, how do we start ? Shall we put improvements proposals (UI, website, ...) on the wiki, on
> > http://mageia.org/wiki/doku.php?id=rollingdebate ?
>
> No, these are two different things. Above wiki page is for stating a
> perceived problem, and detailing what people view should be (or not
> be) done.
>
> Stating the need for, and specifying/scratching a web-based (or
> semi-web-based) UI for a socially augmented software library is
> another thing.

Well, it's different, but to me part of the debate on the release cycle. As Buchan stated, better perception of backports by users could bring the benefits that some people see in a rolling release. Plus, I'm not only talking about web-based UI, but also rpmdrake improvements regarding backports.
However, if you think we shouldn't put an entry saying "no rolling release, but improve current backports scheme, see proposal below", I won't do it.

Regards

Samuel