[Mageia-dev] How will be the realese cycle?

Marc Paré marc at marcpare.com
Thu Oct 7 13:38:41 CEST 2010

Le 2010-10-07 07:23, Olivier Méjean a écrit :
> Le jeudi 7 octobre 2010 13:00:21, Marc Paré a écrit :
>>
>> I would challenge people to find a regular user who knew what the
>> "Backport" option was for, you may find some but clearly, they would be
>> in the minority. Otherwise, it would have been used quite extensively by
>> users. This is exactly what a user is usually interested in updating
>> his/her installation.
>
> Backport was a media added for Mandriva 2007 in order to provide latest
> versions of software. However, backport rpms were (and are) not officially
> supported by Mandriva on the contrary of rpms in main (either /main/release or
> /main/updates)
>
> That make sense for a company based distribution to operate such a
> discrimination, i am not sure that we have to follow such a way in a
> community-driven distribution.
>
> Olivier

I have to say though, that after having browsed through the Mdv2010.1
backports by hand, there is a lot, from a user point of view, that would
interest users. All of the sexy upgrades to software are there.

I think it would be nice to keep as long as it didn't cause major
problems with the installation. Maybe an option to "roll-back" a
software update would be something to consider for users?

Marc