[Mageia-dev] What do you think about create a Mageia Welcome Center?

André Machado afmachado at dcemail.com
Sun Oct 10 02:25:21 CEST 2010

> I don't think a GUID would be very useful.  When I installed Mandriva, I
> installed it on one machine, setup the configurations the way I wanted
> them, and then cloned the hd for 4 other systems.  The GUID would be
> identical on all four systems.

Though I am against this idea, there is more unique-ID elements in a computer,
such like:

* Network Interface Card MAC address;
* Hard disk serial number (not the formatting one);
* BIOS serial number, BIOS date...

A GUID could be formed by HDD serial number + Mac Address + installed RAM Memory
+ a code to identify processor type, all this treated by a code generated on the
date and time of installation. But I think that this is a negative point and
people will compare us with a certain enterprise. ;)