[Mageia-dev] Mageia repository sections, licenses, restrictions, firmware etc

Tux99 tux99-mga at uridium.org
Tue Oct 12 19:18:58 CEST 2010

Quote: Ahmad Samir wrote on Tue, 12 October 2010 19:08

> How do you think packages were done in Mandriva (and other distros)
> all those years?

Mandriva was a commercial company with ambitions to sell it's products
commercial all over the world, that's a completely different situation to
Mageia.

> Sure, Mageia won't be held responsible, only the users deploying it in
> other countries where those laws apply. You also have to bear in mind
> school/university labs, companies.. etc.

Like I suggested earlier, during install there can be an option to
include/exclude well known problematic packages.

And yes, end users will ALWAYS be responsible for what they install/use,
regardless what Mageia includes in the default install, Mageia (or anyone
else) cannot take that responsibility away from the user.
Besides that I have never heard of a private person being sued for using
unlicensed  patented codecs, not even in the US and most US Linux users
install them anyway from plf (or similar repos of other distros).

Regardless of that no company/school/university will just do a default
install (regardless if we include plf packages), they will always have to
do their own custom selection based on their on internal regulations
anyway (in addition to local laws).

--
Mageia ML Forum Gateway: http://mageia.linuxtech.net/forum/