[Mageia-dev] Mageia repository sections, licenses, restrictions, firmware etc

Tux99 tux99-mga at uridium.org
Wed Oct 13 07:14:48 CEST 2010

On Wed, 13 Oct 2010, [UTF-8] Marc Paré wrote:

> Le 2010-10-12 22:04, Tux99 a écrit :
> >
> > According to your logic that would mean we can't include ssh, openssl, pgp,
> > and even https support in any browser.
> > Does that seems reasonable to you?
> >
> > You need to face it, it would be impossible to make a distro that is legal
> > in every country of the world and at the same time is of any use to the
> > users.
> > Therefore I don't see the need why we should comply with US patent laws
> > when we don't comply with for example Chinese encryption laws.
> >

> All of your points are exactly what I am trying to point out and even
> reinforce my concerns. These are all true. This is why, in my opinion,
> the Mageia distro should not be installing all of these controversial
> software packages by default.

Are you seriously suggesting Mageia should produce a distro without ssh,
openssl and even with all browsers stripped of https support?

I can imagine how popular that would be with the majority of users...

> This would then remove that layer of liability from the Mageia
> project group. In my opinion, Mageia should be wary in wanting to
> install a fully functioning distro if this means using software packages
> that may get it into trouble (Mageia itself).

But here lies the mistake in your reasoning. Mageia doesn't have to
exclude all those packages, since the only liability Mageia has, is
towards the French laws.

So the sensible choice is to base the choice of packages to include on
French law. It is up to the user to make sure he/she only installs and
uses packages that are legal in his/her country.