[Mageia-dev] Mageia repository sections, licenses, restrictions, firmware etc

Olivier Méjean omejean at yahoo.fr
Wed Oct 13 16:29:24 CEST 2010

Le mercredi 13 octobre 2010 15:44:27, Sinner from the Prairy a écrit :
> Marc Paré wrote:
> > I think pre-selected Country installs would just be too hard to
> > coordinate, laws change. Free and non-free is pretty simple.
> >
> > Marc
>
> +1
>
> My thoughts exactly.
>
> Salut,
> Sinner

Linux Mint provides an ISO without codec
http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php
(btw some good ideas about ISO, like an OEM ISO). It nicely named
"linuxmint-9-gnome-usa-japan-i386.iso" which just focus on 2 countries ;-)

What's just funny is that we looking for mirrors of Linux Mint, there :
http://linuxmint.com/mirrors.php several are located in USA, you can find a
company, yellowfiber located in Virginia (if i am not wrong, VA = Virginia)
with a legal contact in California, you can also find a mirror located in the
University of Tennessee, and both (and others in USA) provide all ISOs
(yellowfiber also provides a mirror for ArchLinux which contains libdvdcss)

So companies, universities in USA provide softwares that we are here
discussing if we can ship or not (and i don't want to insist, but Mageia.org
is not located in USA). Maybe they are more aware of laws than we are, or are
they taking too much risks ?

Olivier