[Mageia-dev] Mageia repository sections, licenses, restrictions, firmware etc

Marc Paré marc at marcpare.com
Wed Oct 13 18:35:13 CEST 2010

Le 2010-10-13 12:14, herman a écrit :

> My tuppence worth:
> Mageia should not distribute non-Free code.  However, Mageia could
> provide a wizard to enable users to easily install audio and video
> codecs and utilities from online repositories at Zarb.org.  That way, it
> is the responsibility of the user to check his own legal status.

However, in this case, Mageia would be complicit in the installation
process. IMHO, I think that if the information on how/where to get the
information on how to install these missing pieces were available to the
user, this would be a safer legal route.

> The Mandriva install system does not make it easy enough.  It requires
> that a user figure out which codecs and stuff he needs, which is a kind
> of a black art.  I have done it many times, but it is painful.

Yes, I have always seen this as a communication problem from the
Mandriva documentation. However, it did fit the "at arm's length" legal
definition of the installation of these pieces of software. That is to
mean that Mandriva, in this case, was not complicit in the installation
of that particular software. It was clearly a user decision to install them.

Marc