[Mageia-dev] How will be the realese cycle?

Sinner from the Prairy sinnerbofh at gmail.com
Thu Oct 14 16:44:27 CEST 2010

Tux99 wrote:
> Quote: Ahmad Samir wrote on Thu, 14 October 2010 16:00

>> Enabling them by default defies the purpose of having backports at
>> all; it's not for new users, it's more for slightly experienced users
>> or power users who want the latest versions of apps.

> That's exactly the crucial bit that IMHO needs to change, backports are
> very interesting for 'normal' users so we should make sure normal users
> can use them.

I believe you are both right:

* backports are for power users
* Mandriva/Mageia are power users [*]

[*] 1. they chose Linux. 2. They chose a "Not Ubuntu" distro

So, what about?

1. Changing name of backports to something more dscriptive
2. Making backports part of official repos
3. NOT activating backports repo by default.

Salut,
Sinner