[Mageia-dev] How will be the realese cycle?

nicolas vigier boklm at mars-attacks.org
Thu Oct 14 16:50:39 CEST 2010

On Thu, 14 Oct 2010, Tux99 wrote:

> I think they should be enabled by default, since it's my impression that
> the majority of 'normal' users wants new versions of apps, those users who
> DON'T want them can still always disable them.

If backports repository is enabled by default, it should be stable. How
do you garantee that backports will never break ?

> Backports shouldn't be second choice, it should be the default, since that
> would make Mageia stand out from other distros as being the distro were
> users get the latest versions of apps before any other major distro
> provides them.

Just providing the latest version of apps is not enough to "stand out
from other distros". All distros could do it, and they usually already
do it in their developement version. But the problem is always the same:
adding new versions create instability.