[Mageia-dev] How will be the realese cycle?

Marc Paré marc at marcpare.com
Thu Oct 14 18:39:10 CEST 2010

Le 2010-10-14 10:50, nicolas vigier a écrit :
> On Thu, 14 Oct 2010, Tux99 wrote:
>

>> I think they should be enabled by default, since it's my impression that
>> the majority of 'normal' users wants new versions of apps, those users who
>> DON'T want them can still always disable them.
>
> If backports repository is enabled by default, it should be stable. How
> do you garantee that backports will never break ?
>
>> Backports shouldn't be second choice, it should be the default, since that
>> would make Mageia stand out from other distros as being the distro were
>> users get the latest versions of apps before any other major distro
>> provides them.
>
> Just providing the latest version of apps is not enough to "stand out
> from other distros". All distros could do it, and they usually already
> do it in their developement version. But the problem is always the same:
> adding new versions create instability.

Actually, there is a thread on the Mandriva nntp where the latest CUPS
in backports break the install. So we are passing the word to people
about this. DO NOT INSTALL THE CUPS backports, it may break your Mdv
installation.

I think the "Backport" name should just be changed to a more descriptive
name and an info button (bubble or Wiki link) describing its intended
use to the users.

There is a thread on the Mandriva nntp discussing the use of "Backport"
(I started it) as many users had no idea what it meant or the reason
behind it. We (users) are ill-informed of its purpose. But ... I like
it, and I think it should stay, but in a renamed form and for all users
to use ... maybe also add a "user help" link on that particular page
where users could turn to for help.

IMHO, what makes or breaks a distro is the communication and the help
users get from their knowledgeable counterparts. Use-help and
Documentation should be front and centre to the distro.

IMHO, if you have enough experience, then you should be helping out on
the "user help" mailists and "user help" forums to help out those in
need of help.

Marc