[Mageia-dev] How will be the realese cycle?

Marc Paré marc at marcpare.com
Thu Oct 14 19:14:28 CEST 2010

Le 2010-10-14 13:05, Tux99 a écrit :
> On Thu, 14 Oct 2010, Maurice Batey wrote:
>
>> However, I then found that the new version of VLC had problems with
>> DVD menus, and the new CUPS introduced problems (not just in my
>> installation but at least one other Mandriva user).
>
> I would put this down to the fact that currently in Mandriva backports
> are given little attention by the packagers (as has been mentioned by
> the Mandriva packagers here themselves).
> Of course if we make them more central to the Mageia strategy then more
> care and testing is needed before a backport is pushed out.
> So I wouldn't consider that a fundamental issue with backports, just a
> procedural issue.
> Also personally I would consider CUPS a core app so I wouldn't have
> included that in backports at all.

Yup. That was my comment on the Mandriva news group. If a package
affects the core or a large amount of other sofware packages, I, myself,
would avoid installing it from the "Backports". If the updated CUPS was
such a great upgrade, then I would imagine that the Mandriva devs would
have included it as a normal update and not a "Backport" upgrade.
Backport is great for VLC, Digikam, Amarok updates. But as Maurice
mentioned the VLC didn't have the dvdnav plugin with the upgrade ... so
there may be some hiccups from time to time with some of the software
upgrades.

Marc