[Mageia-dev] How will be the realese cycle?

Marc Paré marc at marcpare.com
Mon Oct 18 05:25:57 CEST 2010

Le 2010-10-17 19:44, Michael Scherer a écrit :
> Le vendredi 15 octobre 2010 à 22:00 -0500, Fernando Parra a écrit :
>
> I am just coming back from my weekend, so I may have missed lots of
> discussion, but there is 2 points in your mail that I really wanted to
> address.
>
>> The basic/novice user doesn't read anything, doesn't request anything
>> to some like a bugzilla,
>
> And so, because some users are considered too lazy, we should do the
> work for them ?
>
> I am living in a world where days are only 24h long. If people are not
> able to do their part of the work like "filling a proper bug report on
> bugzilla to get their wish done for free by a already overworked
> volunteer", the only answer I can give is 'too bad for them'.
>
> If packagers were not already busy, yeah, I would think we should have
> more backports requests. But if there is any packager that think "I do
> not have enough work, give me more", he can send me a mail and I will
> have no problem to help him solve this issue fo too much free time.
>
> While I agree we should lower the bar for all kind of contributions, I
> am not sure that giving more work to packagers by requesting backports
> clearly qualify as a contribution, and so as such should not be lowered
> too easily.
>
> So before doing anything, we need to think about scaling from our side.
>
>> Please take in mind that we are trying to get a considerable number of new users.
>
> I do not think I am ok to be counted in the "we" you use. I do not think
> I want, nor that I will even try to get a considerable number of new
> users, I want a sustainable number of users that can be properly taught
> of free software way and ecosystem, so they can be later part of the
> community as people who help us in very direct way. And that's what I
> will try to do.

Thanks Michael for the note. This is why I am in favour of streamlining
the reporting of bugs from the user side and not the dev. Devs should
always count on seeing bugs reported on bugzilla and nothing more.
However, on the user side, to keep the reporting of bug flow from
breaking down, I suggest a two tier format that I discussed earlier.
Maybe have a look at this and comment?

I imagine that the Mageia devs are interested in hearing of bugs from as
many sources as possible regardless of user experience.

Marc Pare