[Mageia-dev] Mirror tree structure

Romain d'Alverny rdalverny at gmail.com
Thu Oct 21 13:09:32 CEST 2010

On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 18:34, Olivier Thauvin
<nanardon at nanardon.zarb.org> wrote:

> Now come the question: "what is a valid mirror ?", eg, what a mirror
> should have as file to be valid ?

Not sure if we discussed in depth MirrorBrain
(http://www.mirrorbrain.org/ ) for managing mirrors index and
redirections.

If we were going to use it, could we, for instance, leave mirrors some
liberty to mirror what branch they want (with some guidances and
preferences of course) and let our MirrorBrain instance check and
build the list of valid mirrors for the file actually requested?

This, provided that _consistent_ branches of the tree are mirrored,
and not only a file here, a file there.

On one hand, this would introduce at least to other things to check:
 - having enough distributed mirrors that map the whole tree;
 - having download/install tools take this into account.

On the other hand, this could allow more mirrors to take part in this,
in that it may require less storage space and less bandwidth usage.

It's not the only reason to use MirrorBrain anyway, but I wondered if
this could be a complementary reason.

Not sure, insights welcome.

Cheers,

Romain