[Mageia-dev] Mirror tree structure

Maarten Vanraes maarten.vanraes at gmail.com
Thu Oct 21 19:36:07 CEST 2010

Op woensdag 20 oktober 2010 18:34:24 schreef Olivier Thauvin:
> Hi,
>
> You can find here:
> http://distrib-coffee.ipsl.jussieu.fr/pub/linux/Mageia/
> the current mirror tree proposal.
> We now have to discuss it, I think.
>
> Here notes:
>
> The 'mageia_timestamp' is a file updated on the main server every 5
> minutes. It allow to check is a mirror synced or not
>
> Comparing to mandriva there is no more split between devel/stable, all
> distributions goes into distribs/ and all isos file into iso/.
>
> The updates/ tree disapear, avoiding some possible dependencies issues
> in updates rpms.
>
> The peoples/ directory is dedicated to contributors and must allow
> anyone to share files related to the distribution (testing rpms,
> preworks) in an unofficial ways.
> How this can be setup in practice still have to be discuss.
>
> Finally the software/ directory should allow you to distribute the
> tarball (not rpm) for software we do. As soon we do free software people
> must be able to distribute our code in the same way any projects does.
> Replies like "svn is readable" or "we have rpm" is not appropriated.
>
> Now come the question: "what is a valid mirror ?", eg, what a mirror
> should have as file to be valid ?
>
> I suggest to not give the choice and avoid mistake by saying except
> "peoples" a mirror must respect the whole tree to be valid.
> This mean everything must exists with this structure under the top level
> path.
> This way may avoid issues like mandriva on ibiblio (only 2005 and 2007.1
> seems to exists...)
> ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/mandriva/Mandrivalinux/
>
> Comment and idea welcome.
>
> Regards.

i didn't follow the whole previous discussion about the mirror tree, but would
it be advisable to have a noarch subdir, next to i586 and x86_64 ?

it would mean that if you use i586, you'd need noarch too; and the same thing
with x86_64; but imo, the setup might use a little less storage or it'd be
easier set up; and less hacks required?

if you'd do a dual arch CD; you could easily have noarch, i586 and x86_64 next
to eachother; imo.

also, if we split up more packages to use noarch for content stuff or xxx-doc
subpackages or whatever...