[Mageia-dev] Suggestion-Locales management for One (or Live) Cd releases

atilla ontas tarakbumba at gmail.com
Mon Oct 25 14:50:35 CEST 2010

2010/10/25 Wolfgang Bornath <molch.b at googlemail.com>:
> 2010/10/25 atilla ontas <tarakbumba at gmail.com>:
>>
>> 3- A dialog popup appears and asks if he/she wans to select language
>> 4- If an active internet connection detected  notifies users that
>> selected languge will downloaded from net otherwise user use live
>> system in English.
>
> This is not a good idea.
>
> As mobile machines (laptops, netbooks) are more and more replacing the
> normal home machine (see sales figures all over the world) we have to
> take into account that more and more home internet connections are
> running without restricting cables, aka WiFi (not to mention being on
> the road). So, either make WiFi available automatically at
> installation time (which is not trivial or even may not be possible)
> or make locales available at installation time.
>
> Whatever installation method you use, it has to be available in the
> user's language, otherwise he will not install.
>
> Besides, this is a no-go for the live CD as a demo asset. How could a
> user evaluate Mageia when he doesn't understand the language because
> there is only WiFI around at the moment he has time to look at the CD?
>
> --
> wobo

I don' t agree, sorry. Live CDs are not demo assets for most of the
people other than europe or america. Their relatively small size and
installation capability make them an installation media for limited
internet users. Most people do not want to install a DVD.

Also, you haven't noticed but Mandriva One, have an rpm macro that
strips all language files those not included in One. (because of lack
of space on cd) And users must install all applications, including
system packages, i.e. initscripts again to get their native language
support. Look at mandriva translation statistics and see yourself that
waste majority of languages not supporting enough (lack of
translators, of course). For those using a live cd is a pain. I know
that because before my translation efforts for two years and turkish
supported One editions (after 2009.0 release); turkish users could not
use One Cd releases.

Also, i have proposed that draktools lang files should be included in
all available languages to avoid those problems you have mentioned.
net_apple will in users language and user can establish wi-fi by it.
Thats all.