[Mageia-dev] Suggestion-Locales management for One (or Live) Cd releases

Wolfgang Bornath molch.b at googlemail.com
Mon Oct 25 15:17:35 CEST 2010

2010/10/25 atilla ontas <tarakbumba at gmail.com>:

> I don' t agree, sorry. Live CDs are not demo assets for most of the
> people other than europe or america. Their relatively small size and
> installation capability make them an installation media for limited
> internet users. Most people do not want to install a DVD.

That's the same here. Most people like the "installable live cd" approach.
Especially those with poor bandwidth which are not so few even in
"industrially civilized countries" :)

I did not say that "demo" was the only purpose of the live cd, but it
is an important asset in the evaluation stage of the user. Giving a
live CD to an interested Windows user is the best way to demonstrate
the distribution. He boots the live system and should be able to view
it in live mode in his language without searching for a cable
connection.
BTW: You know when is the best time to check such kind of cds? When
travelling! But while travelling in a long distance train or plane you
do not have internet access (well, not always). Or when sitting in a
street café or on the dock of the bay, watching the tide roll in.

Although such scenarios are different for many, the situations I
described are often enough to be taken into account. We are far away
from "internet everyhwere all the time", but at the same time we are
using computers more and more while out of reach of a cable
connection. So there has to be a localized view for the user without
being tied to an internet connection.

What is so hard in keeping the Mandriva approach (2 / 3 different cds
with language groups)? If communicated sufficiently users will have no
problem to chose the correct version for their language. Mandriva
could have done that easily by adding a link to the "Download Mandriva
Linux ONE" page which shows all 2 / 3 ONE with a listing of the
supported languages. Why could we not do it?

--
wobo