[Mageia-dev] Mirror list for apps (LONG mail)

Michael Scherer misc at mandriva.org
Wed Nov 3 20:28:59 CET 2010

Le mercredi 03 novembre 2010 à 20:05 +0100, Fabrice Facorat a écrit :
> 2010/11/3 Olivier Thauvin <nanardon at nanardon.zarb.org>:
>
> > Keeping this format is more simple, just changing the line specifiying
> > basis url in URPMI.
>
> And allow to keep compatibility with urpmi without maintaining too much patch
>
> > By changing the the format we can add features, make it clearer, etc...
> > But changing format to what ? XML ? YAML ? CSV ? something worst ? :)
> > Changes can done later.
>
> if really you want to change this you should :
> - ditch the url in favor of a XML-RPC or REST calls

Given the fact we have slightly less ressources than Mandriva and that
people on Mandriva side ( or at least, that's what I remind that fcrozat
told me ) didn't have the ressources to have a more complex system, we
should avoid this.

> - by doing this you will be able to user whatever version or name for
> the distribution. Indeed by using an url, you have to avoid space, or
> too fancy names. On top of that you can change too much the format

You can use space in a url.

And if we use a XML-RPC api, we will not be able to change it either, so
that trading the impossibility of changing the format for the
impossibility to change the API.

> So product.id could be kept unchanged, but the way urpmi talk to the
> mirror provider could be improved.
> Last but not least, by using XML-RC or REST calls, we could filter the
> output of mirror list ( for example retrieve the list of mirror for
> cooker in EU zone )

This could be done on the client side. On the client side, this would
mean a little bit more bandwidth used, a little more cpu, and on our
side, it would be less CPU. And I think cpu is a more rare ressources
than bandwidth.

In fact, doing this on the client would be better on the privacy side.

--
Michael Scherer