[Mageia-dev] Mirror list for apps (LONG mail)

Fabrice Facorat fabrice.facorat at gmail.com
Wed Nov 3 20:58:56 CET 2010

2010/11/3 Michael Scherer <misc at mandriva.org>:
> Le mercredi 03 novembre 2010 à 20:05 +0100, Fabrice Facorat a écrit :
>> 2010/11/3 Olivier Thauvin <nanardon at nanardon.zarb.org>:
>>
>> > Keeping this format is more simple, just changing the line specifiying
>> > basis url in URPMI.
>>
>> And allow to keep compatibility with urpmi without maintaining too much patch
>>
>> > By changing the the format we can add features, make it clearer, etc...
>> > But changing format to what ? XML ? YAML ? CSV ? something worst ? :)
>> > Changes can done later.
>>
>> if really you want to change this you should :
>> - ditch the url in favor of a XML-RPC or REST calls
>
> Given the fact we have slightly less ressources than Mandriva and that
> people on Mandriva side ( or at least, that's what I remind that fcrozat
> told me ) didn't have the ressources to have a more complex system, we
> should avoid this.
>
>> - by doing this you will be able to user whatever version or name for
>> the distribution. Indeed by using an url, you have to avoid space, or
>> too fancy names. On top of that you can change too much the format
>
> You can use space in a url.

sure, but it's ugly and you need to escape the space ( url encoding )

> And if we use a XML-RPC api, we will not be able to change it either, so
> that trading the impossibility of changing the format for the
> impossibility to change the API.

a good API won't be an issue :p
URL parsing is harder and more error-prone

> This could be done on the client side. On the client side, this would
> mean a little bit more bandwidth used, a little more cpu, and on our
> side, it would be less CPU. And I think cpu is a more rare ressources
> than bandwidth.

you can use cache on the server side, i.e provide a static file which
is a cache of the query.

--
Close the World, Open the Net
http://www.linux-wizard.net