[Mageia-dev] sync with mandriva

Michael Scherer misc at zarb.org
Mon Nov 8 12:36:39 CET 2010

Le dimanche 07 novembre 2010 à 21:43 +0000, Colin Guthrie a écrit :
> 'Twas brillig, and P. Christeas at 07/11/10 13:39 did gyre and gimble:
> >> I don’t think mandriva will move to git anytime soon, it was planned
> >> (IIRC spuk worked on it) but it was not finished.
> > Not even Mageia. Which is sad.
>
> Well this is due to time constraints primarily as we need to get
> something out of the door soon and this likely means using subversion,
> but this is not totally decided yet and I, for one, will very much be
> pushing for a git migration for package management as soon as practicable.

Well, a first step would be to first document the proposal, discuss it,
then later have agreement from other packagers, see how it will impact
the bs ( ie, what part will need to be changed ), do the change on code
( repsys, web interface, install a git viewer, and change on mdvsys
too ), and do the conversion ( which may requires some tests, and lots
of time, and some down time ( so this also requires coordination )).
And also update the documentation.

Provided that someone indeed step to do all of this, I see no reason to
not have it happen. if no one does, then it won't, as simple as that :)
Beware, this can take quite a lot of time
( http://lwn.net/Articles/409635/ ).

But for the moment, of course, the priority is to setup a replica
( minus some minor cleaning ) of Mandriva build system.
So such change will have to wait ( in the event someone already did the
hard work in secret with ready to apply patches and already converted
repository ).

--
Michael Scherer