[Mageia-dev] Mirror layout, round two

Thomas Backlund tmb at iki.fi
Sat Nov 27 19:23:59 CET 2010

if maintainer db says nomaintainer@ it belong in /extra/

> what are the rules to move a package from extra to core, and vice-versa?
> who can do it? will it be done automatically? will this imply a rebuild
> for the package?

If a maintainer picks up maintainership of a package  in /extra/ it will
be rebuilt and moved to /core/ asap.

if a package in /core/ ends up nomaintainer@, then after a "grace
period" (1-3 months ?) it will be moved to /extra/.
and sometime before RC1 or so, any momaintainer@ package in /core/ will
get moved to /extra/ as for a release the /core/ should only contain
maintained packages.

> what are the dependency rules? can a core package depend on an extra
> package? or with a buildrequires?

No.
If you need to build against a package in /extra/, either pick up the
maintainership of it, or try to get someone other to maintain it.
then it can get into /core/

> and, more importantly: what is the advantage? that is, what does that
> bring you, except more admin?

QA!
and enduser satisfaction.

Just take a look on many bugreports in MDV Bugzilla.
If the report is against a nomaintainer@ package, currently Triage
pretty much only can state "thanks for your report, but since it has
no maintainer, nothing will probably happend" wich is not good answer
for a person that have taken the time to report a bug.

By having the /extra/ disabled by default, and a popup notifying the
user if he enables it that the packages are "unmaintained" he knows
he's "on his own"

--
Thomas