[Mageia-dev] Mirror layout, round two

Maarten Vanraes maarten.vanraes at gmail.com
Sat Nov 27 21:03:16 CET 2010

Op zaterdag 27 november 2010 19:23:59 schreef Thomas Backlund:
> Jerome Quelin skrev 27.11.2010 19:11:
> > On 10/11/27 17:59 +0100, Maarten Vanraes wrote:
> >> i agree, the less repositories the easier it'll be.
> >>
> >> however, core is for all the "maintained" packages, extra is for the
> >> unmaintained packages that build ok.
> >
> > what is a "maintained" package? no maintainer, no commits since x
> > months, not buildable? what if we move to packages being maintained by
> > foopkg at packages.mageia.org aliases?
>
> if maintainer db says nomaintainer@ it belong in /extra/
>
> > what are the rules to move a package from extra to core, and vice-versa?
> > who can do it? will it be done automatically? will this imply a rebuild
> > for the package?
>
> If a maintainer picks up maintainership of a package  in /extra/ it will
> be rebuilt and moved to /core/ asap.
>
> if a package in /core/ ends up nomaintainer@, then after a "grace
> period" (1-3 months ?) it will be moved to /extra/.
> and sometime before RC1 or so, any momaintainer@ package in /core/ will
> get moved to /extra/ as for a release the /core/ should only contain
> maintained packages.

i would actually only move during cauldron freeze period (or right before it);
in both ways; so that the releases always stay the same for this kind of
thing.

> > what are the dependency rules? can a core package depend on an extra
> > package? or with a buildrequires?
>
> No.
> If you need to build against a package in /extra/, either pick up the
> maintainership of it, or try to get someone other to maintain it.
> then it can get into /core/

indeed, i would do this very strict; sometimes this might happen with some
kind of really core package, and then we'll have no choice but find a
maintainer for it; which is imho better.

> > and, more importantly: what is the advantage? that is, what does that
> > bring you, except more admin?
>
> QA!
> and enduser satisfaction.
>
> Just take a look on many bugreports in MDV Bugzilla.
> If the report is against a nomaintainer@ package, currently Triage
> pretty much only can state "thanks for your report, but since it has
> no maintainer, nothing will probably happend" wich is not good answer
> for a person that have taken the time to report a bug.
>
> By having the /extra/ disabled by default, and a popup notifying the
> user if he enables it that the packages are "unmaintained" he knows
> he's "on his own"

i agree