[Mageia-dev] Mirror layout : Why validate software patents ?

Wolfgang Bornath molch.b at googlemail.com
Wed Dec 8 18:28:10 CET 2010

2010/12/8 Oliver Burger <oliver.bgr at googlemail.com>:
> Let's devide the repos in those packages, that can be distibuted everywhere
> and those that can't and let the mirror maintainers chose if or if not they
> are willing to mirror the second one.

That was one of the first suggestions in the whole discussion. The
only problem there is that this again creates a problem with the
mirrorlist system (I remember, I'm writing the same words now that I
wrote some weeks ago!). So, we either abandon the mirrorlist approach
or we have 2 mirrorlists (one with and one without tainted software)
and let the user decide which one he sets up on his system.

> And if you are suggesting not to provide all those packages (which are mostly
> multimedia I think), I'm not with you. I do want a distribution, that can play
> my music and videos and so on without having to build the software for
> myself...

+1 I am sure this goes for the majority of users.

--
wobo