[Mageia-dev] maintainers database

andre999 andr55 at laposte.net
Sat Dec 18 01:21:30 CET 2010

Romain d'Alverny a écrit :

> On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 23:41, Maarten Vanraes
> <maarten.vanraes at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> imo, it could be used into mageia-app-db, allthough the purposes are a bit
>> different.
>
> So it should be a separate component.
>
>> however, if we plan on using ldap to store the maintainership (it would be
>> more like groups for each package and people being member of it...), then
>> perhaps it should be in catdap.
>
> I'm not sure this should be put into the LDAP, but I may be wrong. The
> data model is likely to change often enough (even if not a lot) and
> queries are likely to be frequent enought, to justify a separate,
> simple db/app for that. But here again, I may not have all the infos.
>
>> however, we will have need of this soon; and it should also take into account
>> co-maintainers...
>
> That's the group thing, yes (be it explicit or implicit).
>
> Romain

Why not have a field for primary/secondary maintainer ?
By default, the first maintainer would be primary, subsequent
maintainers secondary.
This field being changable as desired.
That way, there is total flexability to have whatever mix of
primary/secondary maintainers the group of packagers for a particular
package wishes.

I suspect that it would be better to have a separate database for this
than mageia-app-db, to avoid contamination of errors, etc.
By keeping it separate, the packagers would have total control to
maintain the list according to what is actually packaged by Mageia.
Note that mageia-app-db will probably be listing 3rd party packages, not
carried by mageia.
In any case, it would be better to have a separate table for packager info.

my 2 cents :)

André