[Mageia-dev] maintainers database

Michael scherer misc at zarb.org
Sat Dec 18 12:00:52 CET 2010

On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 11:55:39PM +0100, Romain d'Alverny wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 23:41, Maarten Vanraes
> <maarten.vanraes at gmail.com> wrote:
> > imo, it could be used into mageia-app-db, allthough the purposes are a bit
> > different.
>
> So it should be a separate component.
>
> > however, if we plan on using ldap to store the maintainership (it would be
> > more like groups for each package and people being member of it...), then
> > perhaps it should be in catdap.
>
> I'm not sure this should be put into the LDAP, but I may be wrong. The
> data model is likely to change often enough (even if not a lot) and
> queries are likely to be frequent enought, to justify a separate,
> simple db/app for that. But here again, I may not have all the infos.

I think we should use a simple sql database for now.

Even if later, ldap could help use to set ACL, and tree structure for packages
( ie, the grouping feature of packages you spoke of ), I think we should aim first
for a very basic application :

1 srpm -> 1 to N maintainers,

and that's all.

Later, we can think more thoroughly about this, and likely rewrite.
But the initial goal was to reuse mdvdb because
it was the fastest route. So we should not forget about it. If we use a quick
and dirty django application with basic CRUD to manage that, it should be fine.

--
Michael Scherer