[Mageia-dev] mageia sound tasks

Ahmad Samir ahmadsamir3891 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 18 15:05:11 CET 2010

On 18 December 2010 15:50, Tux99 <tux99-mga at uridium.org> wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Dec 2010, Sascha Schneider wrote:
>
>> Hi list,
>>
>> I just started to create some task.spec files from the mandriva
>> task-sound-studio for mageia.
>> In contrast to the former taskfile and to most other linux audio
>> distributions I would like to establish a modular system of sound-tasks,
>> that help installing packages, but do not install everything regarded to
>> sound.
>> For I am not a good programmer, I wanted to ask if there are some devs,
>> packagers and mageia-fanatics, that are willing to join me on this mission.
>
> Count me in, I was planning something similar too, since my interest is
> also mainly in the Audio/Video area, that's also why I registered as a
> packager in this area.
>
> I guess once the build system is up and running and we are all set up as
> packagers then we can talk about the details, but I don't think it
> should be here on the general dev ML, the ML would quickly get
> polluted with too many parallel discussions if every sub-group did all
> their discussion on the same ML. We could use a dedicated ML (either
> an official one or else I can set one up quickly on my server) or even
> a simple forum thread on the future Mageia forum.

The Mageia-dev ML is the current official packagers ML, such packaging
discussions are supposed and expected to happen here.

> Don't get demotivated by the nay-sayers that commented on your initial
> post, the argument that there are too many tasks is silly, as long as
> there is a maintainer for a task package (or any package) it should be
> included in the repos (if that won't be the case then Mageia wouldn't be
> the kind of open community distro it set out to be).

This looks like coercing other packagers into adapting your point of
view "if you don't agree with my POV then you're not an open community
distro"; I don't like that attitude one bit.

In any distro there're rules and guidelines that should be followed
(look at Debian for example); being a community distro doesn't mean
anyone gets a free reign to do whatever he wants whenever he wants.

Note that Michael is discussing the issue, he didn't make final
decisions. If you have a productive argument to make please do so,
otherwise please refrain from calling other peoples' posts "silly" (or
"non-sense" judging from your other posts on the ML).

--
Ahmad Samir