[Mageia-dev] replace mysql by mariadb ? (was HEADSUP: mariadb available for testing)

Maarten Vanraes alien at rmail.be
Fri Dec 2 17:33:04 CET 2011

Op vrijdag 02 december 2011 08:37:05 schreef Sander Lepik:

> >> As said before there is no other major distro that did this switch. It
> >> seems too early for me and lots of users do still use MySQL. I would go
> >> for MariaDB as an alternative for Mageia 2
> >
> > is it ok if we could test MariaDB fully and if it's not good enough, we
> > could decide to not use mariadb yet and resubmit mysql? or even provide
> > mariadb as alternative?
>
> I wouldn't remove MySQL. If MariaDB can't be installed next to it then i
> would wait til mga3.

It can (not client), but there's no need imho; mariadb is actually no more
than the patched mysql because those patches are rejected by oracle (think
Google patches and facebook patches as an example) + extra storage engines.

if you really want to, the unpatches original (same as mysql) storage engines
are available for mariadb as well:
 - innodb (unpatched; xtradb is the patched one)
 - myisam
 - federated
etc...

if we test mariadb, and you see no differences, why not drop it? do you agree?