[Mageia-dev] RFC: Drop mkinitrd completely in favour of dracut.

Anssi Hannula anssi at mageia.org
Sat Dec 3 00:06:31 CET 2011

On 03.12.2011 00:18, Thomas Backlund wrote:
> Anssi Hannula skrev 2.12.2011 23:17:
>>
>> Patch attached. I guess this would remain as a Mageia specific patch as
>> the wanted behavior is dependant on how the distribution handles driver
>> switching etc...
>
> Speaking of driver switching...
>
> Is it possible to detect missing radeon firmware in initrd in early
> boot, and then switch to loading radeon with modeset=0 ?

Seems doable (if a bit hacky), but unfortunately new radeon cards (at
least cayman/northern islands) do not work without KMS at all (while
slightly older cards like Evergreen mostly work but without any kind of
2d/3d acceleration).

This also means that X server will fail to start since it doesn't
fallback to autodetection (and therefore vesa) when the card is
explicitely listed in xorg.conf.

Not quite sure what is the best way forward.

BTW, shouldn't we regenerate initrds when installing radeon-firmware for
the first time?

--
Anssi Hannula