[Mageia-dev] RFC: Drop mkinitrd completely in favour of dracut.

Thomas Backlund tmb at mageia.org
Sat Dec 3 07:05:31 CET 2011

Anssi Hannula skrev 3.12.2011 01:06:
> On 03.12.2011 00:18, Thomas Backlund wrote:
>> Anssi Hannula skrev 2.12.2011 23:17:
>>>
>>> Patch attached. I guess this would remain as a Mageia specific patch as
>>> the wanted behavior is dependant on how the distribution handles driver
>>> switching etc...
>>
>> Speaking of driver switching...
>>
>> Is it possible to detect missing radeon firmware in initrd in early
>> boot, and then switch to loading radeon with modeset=0 ?
>
> Seems doable (if a bit hacky), but unfortunately new radeon cards (at
> least cayman/northern islands) do not work without KMS at all (while
> slightly older cards like Evergreen mostly work but without any kind of
> 2d/3d acceleration).

Yeah, I started thinking about those too after my post...

> This also means that X server will fail to start since it doesn't
> fallback to autodetection (and therefore vesa) when the card is
> explicitely listed in xorg.conf.
>
> Not quite sure what is the best way forward.

Hm, so we would need a split in detection for nonkms capable cards
and the rest...

or take the easy way out and boot everyone on vesa until radeon firmware
is available...

> BTW, shouldn't we regenerate initrds when installing radeon-firmware for
> the first time?

Yeah, I've been thinking the same, but haven't gotten around to doing it
yet.

and what about nvidia* and fglrx, should they do the same ?

and for a dkms related issue, I've also been thinking we whould
trigger dkms rebuild on kernel install to save time on next bootup.

--
Thomas