[Mageia-dev] Replacing mysql with mariadb

Barry Jackson zen25000 at zen.co.uk
Sat Dec 3 00:26:02 CET 2011

On 02/12/11 16:27, Maarten Vanraes wrote:
> Op vrijdag 02 december 2011 14:40:40 schreef Barry Jackson:

>> I said I would need help :\
>
> thanks for that!
>
> i guess i should be clearer, i meant the packages that are built from the
> mysql src.rpm
>
> this is for you:
>
>> mysql-common-core-5.5.15-2.mga2
>> lib64mysqlservices-5.5.15-2.mga2
>> lib64mysqld0-5.5.15-2.mga2
>> mysql-client-5.5.15-2.mga2
>> mysql-core-5.5.15-2.mga2
>> mysql-5.5.15-2.mga2
>> lib64mysql18-5.5.15-2.mga2
>> mysql-common-5.5.15-2.mga2
>> lib64mysql-devel-5.5.15-2.mga2
>

>> Yet with testing enabled I see :-
>> [baz at jackodesktop ~]$ urpmq mariadb -a
>> mariadb
> [...]
>
> (afaik mariadb is an exact match, so maybe that's why it lists only mariadb)
>
> [root at localhost ~]# urpmq -Y mariadb
> lib64mariadb-devel
> lib64mariadb-embedded-devel
> lib64mariadb-embedded0
> lib64mariadb18
> lib64mariadbservices
> mariadb
> mariadb-bench
> mariadb-client
> mariadb-common
> mariadb-common-core
> mariadb-core
>

> thus, for you:
>
> mariadb-common-core
> lib64mariadbservices
> lib64mariadb-embedded0
> mariadb-client
> mariadb-core
> mariadb
> lib64mariadb18
> mariadb-common
> lib64mariadb-devel
>
> happy testing :-)

Thanks,
In fact all (except the -devel) were installed by default:-

[root at jackodesktop baz]# urpmi mariadb
In order to satisfy the 'libmysqlservices.so()(64bit)' dependency, one
of the following packages is needed:
  1- lib64mysqlservices-5.5.15-2.mga2.x86_64: Shared libraries (to install)
  2- lib64mariadbservices-5.5.15-0.4.mga2.x86_64: Shared libraries (to
install)
What is your choice? (1-2) 2
To satisfy dependencies, the following packages are going to be installed:
    Package                        Version      Release       Arch
(medium "Core Updates Testing (distrib5)")
   lib64mariadb18                 5.5.15       0.4.mga2      x86_64
   lib64mariadbservices           5.5.15       0.4.mga2      x86_64
   mariadb                        5.5.15       0.4.mga2      x86_64
   mariadb-client                 5.5.15       0.4.mga2      x86_64
   mariadb-common                 5.5.15       0.4.mga2      x86_64
   mariadb-common-core            5.5.15       0.4.mga2      x86_64
   mariadb-core                   5.5.15       0.4.mga2      x86_64
97MB of additional disk space will be used.
7.3MB of packages will be retrieved.
Proceed with the installation of the 7 packages? (Y/n) y
--------snip----------

OK testing so far with ZoneMinder:-

For those not familiar with ZoneMinder, in brief:-
ZoneMinder is a LAMP Web application for monitoring CCTV cameras,
recording the video streams and serving them to LAN or WAN.
It relies on a deep mysql database to store thousands of images in real
time. It also uses mysql to store the log files and display them in a
web browser in the ZoneMinder console.

I installed mariadb this evening and after working around a minor
mariadb packaging hiccup ;) (which is now apparently fixed in svn) I
re-built ZoneMinder against it.
There were no issues in the re-build and the application seems totally
transparent to the change.
There were no issues with my setup script which starts mysql, checks for
an existing mysql password, offers to optionally create one, checks for
an existing zm database and offers to use it, or replace it. I replaced
it and a new one was created without problem. The script then started
httpd and the ZoneMinder service.
No problems at all.
The only operational checks so far involve the logging database, but
that is working fine. Unfortunately I cannot test under full working
conditions without capture card or network cameras which I don't have
connected to this hardware.
I do have a server running ZoneMinder on mga1 with 8 cameras but until
mga2 is released and settled for a while I won't be updating it.

So in a nutshell as far as I have tested it just works out of the box.

:)

Barry