[Mageia-dev] MariaDB 5.5.18 on cauldron tonight

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Wed Dec 7 23:08:35 CET 2011

'Twas brillig, and Sander Lepik at 07/12/11 20:53 did gyre and gimble:
> 07.12.2011 22:31, Maarten Vanraes kirjutas:
>> Op woensdag 07 december 2011 20:38:16 schreef Thomas Backlund:
>>> After Alpha2 I guess we need to discuss this on a council meeting to
>>> get a decision for Mageia 2.
>> fine, i don't see the need of why to have a council meeting wrt this
>> though...
>>
>> it's so frustrating, i'm doing here all the work and testing while
>> mysql is
>> officially unmaintained...
>>
>> we're going on and on about how we're going to drop everything
>> unmaintained,
>> but when push comes to shove, it's all a bluff...
>>
>> /rant
>>
>> lemme know when there _IS_ a good moment to submit
> If MySQL has no maintainer for alpha 2 then i'm in for MariaDB. No point
> to keep unmaintained packages if there is replacement and maintainer for
> it.

I'm perfectly willing to give it a shot (even with my earlier concerns
and caveats). Perhaps after alpha2 is a good idea, but I'm not against
doing it sooner either for wider testing (the "officialness" of an alpha
should mean it gets more testing... in theory!), especially as I doubt
it will cause any problems due to the nature of the software and it's
sources and who is behind it etc. If there is a problem we resubmit
mysql before the beta stage.

I certainly feel your frustration, (I've been in a similar situation
several times!), but try to be pragmatic and understand peoples'
concerns/paranoia (once bitten, twice shy and all that!)