[Mageia-dev] MariaDB 5.5.18 on cauldron tonight

Maarten Vanraes alien at rmail.be
Wed Dec 7 23:21:38 CET 2011

Op woensdag 07 december 2011 23:08:35 schreef Colin Guthrie:
> I'm perfectly willing to give it a shot (even with my earlier concerns
> and caveats). Perhaps after alpha2 is a good idea, but I'm not against
> doing it sooner either for wider testing (the "officialness" of an alpha
> should mean it gets more testing... in theory!), especially as I doubt
> it will cause any problems due to the nature of the software and it's
> sources and who is behind it etc. If there is a problem we resubmit
> mysql before the beta stage.
>

> I certainly feel your frustration, (I've been in a similar situation
> several times!), but try to be pragmatic and understand peoples'
> concerns/paranoia (once bitten, twice shy and all that!)
>
> Col

i've watched part of a movie after i noticed i was stepping over the line...

my apologies, i've cooled down now.

I do understand the other pov, though i still maintain that the likeliness of
problems due to this is fairly low and the willingness of mariadb to get any
issues fixed fast is pretty high, the actual progress being done on mariadb is
fairly quick, there's a quite a number of developers and i got good contacts
with several developers there, who are fairly dedicated to fixing asap any
bugs.

if there are problems i'm fairly certain we can get the help from upstream in
fixing these fast, but given what i've seen of this 5.5 branch it's unlikely to
me if there will be issues. it's sticks pretty close to mysql in order to
avoid any sort of issues that might pop up, due to this.

i suspect for them it's more of the issue of managability and any odd
decisions from the upper management, and that's why they left mysql; the
patches that've always been denied by upper management, etc...

from their pov, they work on mysql like they've always done, except they are
free-er to do what they want to do, if they want to accept patches from google
of facebook, they can..., if they want to add 3rd party storage engines, they
can...

looking at it like this, it's unlikely to be much different than updating from
5.5.10 to 5.5.15 rather than updating from mysql to mariadb

well, we'll see what happens next...

AL13N