[Mageia-dev] MariaDB 5.5.18 on cauldron tonight

Oliver Burger oliver.bgr at googlemail.com
Wed Dec 7 23:24:40 CET 2011

Am Mittwoch, 7. Dezember 2011, 23:08:35 schrieb Colin Guthrie:

> I'm perfectly willing to give it a shot (even with my earlier concerns
> and caveats). Perhaps after alpha2 is a good idea, but I'm not against
> doing it sooner either for wider testing (the "officialness" of an alpha
> should mean it gets more testing... in theory!), especially as I doubt
> it will cause any problems due to the nature of the software and it's
> sources and who is behind it etc. If there is a problem we resubmit
> mysql before the beta stage.

I have to agree with Colin. Seeing who is behind Mariadb and that MariaDB is a
dropin replacement for Mysql (which didn't lead to any problems in the tests
some people were running), I'm very strongly in support of replacing Mysql by
MariaDB.

Ok, let's wait till after alpha2, but I don't see any arguments speaking
against MariaDB and - especially in the light of Mysql having no maintainer -
I see no reason to keep Mysql.

Oliver