[Mageia-dev] ANN: X11 now starts on tty1

Florian Hubold doktor5000 at arcor.de
Sat Dec 17 11:35:55 CET 2011

Am 17.12.2011 11:26, schrieb Wolfgang Bornath:
> 2011/12/17 Sander Lepik <sander.lepik at eesti.ee>:
>> 17.12.2011 12:10, Wolfgang Bornath kirjutas:
>>> I really beg to think the whole matter over again, at least until it is
>>> mature enough to be implemented in cauldron for practical test.
>> People will get used to it rather fast.
> May be yes, may be no. I'm thinking about those computer adepts who
> have spent 10-15 years with the Ctrl-Alt-F1 combo, is it so easy to
> change a grown habit which is like the "Red = Stop!" paradigma? I'm
> thinking also about all those who spend time with different distros,
> having to change one of the most common procedures just for Mageia.
> I'm thinking of rather new Linuxers who follow advice in documentation
> - ALL docs on the net talk about Ctrl-Alt-F1, all generic books like
> Linux in a Nutshell or others talk about Ctrl-Alt-F1.
>
> So, my question is whether a second's flickering during startup really
> justifies such a strong change?

Well, maybe you haven't heard of the related problems yet:
https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Mageia_2_Errata#Xserver_crashes
So what would be better: desktop session crashing when you press
the enter key or ttys available on different keys?

How hard is it to just press a different key or keep switching
until you hit a tty? That's what i do when i forget on which key
the damn x session was to get back to it. :)

Which is also differing between distros, some have x session on
tty 1, some on 7 and Mandriva/Mageia since some time on 8,
due to plymouth and the handover to the DM, IIRC.