[Mageia-dev] ANN: X11 now starts on tty1

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Sat Dec 17 21:24:56 CET 2011

'Twas brillig, and Wolfgang Bornath at 17/12/11 10:58 did gyre and gimble:
> About the question how hard it is to press another key: not hard. But
> the Ctrl-Alt-F1 has been a standard in ALL distributions and ALL
> documentations.

Back in the day, text logins were the norm, graphical logins came later.
Text logins got ttys 1-7... These days they are pretty much useless for
99.5% of the use cases and we have to move with the times. There is no
point keeping this static for the sake of "that's how it's been done
before". This is the kind of mentality that block progress.

If we don't want progress and if we don't want to shake of some of the
hangovers from the old Unix days, we wouldn't have udev, we wouldn't
have systemd and we wouldn't have numerous other bits.

The same arguments can easily be applied to other areas (people expect
system service scripts to be in /etc/init.d/ etc.). We need to let it go.

As graphical logins are the norm, we should be be catering to them
first, and leave text logins for special cases.

That's my take on it.