[Mageia-dev] ANN: X11 now starts on tty1

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Sat Dec 17 21:28:13 CET 2011

'Twas brillig, and Colin Guthrie at 17/12/11 20:24 did gyre and gimble:
> 'Twas brillig, and Wolfgang Bornath at 17/12/11 10:58 did gyre and gimble:
>> About the question how hard it is to press another key: not hard. But
>> the Ctrl-Alt-F1 has been a standard in ALL distributions and ALL
>> documentations.
>
> Back in the day, text logins were the norm, graphical logins came later.
> Text logins got ttys 1-7... These days they are pretty much useless for
> 99.5% of the use cases and we have to move with the times. There is no
> point keeping this static for the sake of "that's how it's been done
> before". This is the kind of mentality that block progress.
>
> If we don't want progress and if we don't want to shake of some of the
> hangovers from the old Unix days, we wouldn't have udev, we wouldn't
> have systemd and we wouldn't have numerous other bits.
>
> The same arguments can easily be applied to other areas (people expect
> system service scripts to be in /etc/init.d/ etc.). We need to let it go.
>
> As graphical logins are the norm, we should be be catering to them
> first, and leave text logins for special cases.
>
> That's my take on it.

Oh and I forgot to say Fedora have been doing this for a long time and
other distros have also been experimenting with it too, so this is very
much not something we're going out on a limb to do, but we are trying to
push things forward a bit.