[Mageia-dev] Adding additional provides to php database modules

Oliver Burger oliver.bgr at googlemail.com
Sat Dec 17 23:24:16 CET 2011

Hi,

I'm maintaining mediawiki and drupal.

Both packages require a php database module but both can work with mysql,
postgresql and sqlite.

Now the mediawiki package does simply require both php-mysql and php-pgsql,
which is bad since it leads to installing unneeded database libraries in the
system.
Drupal has three sub packages which doe require the respective php database
module and one of the three is required by drupal itself, which is some kind
of ugly workarround.

I think it would be a cleaner solution to have php-X providing something
common and php-pdo_X providing something common (X being one of mysql, pgsql
or sqlite).

What do you think?
I tried contacting the php maintainer by mail, but he didn't answer me.

Oliver