[Mageia-dev] RFP: commenting obsoletes for later removal

Per Øyvind Karlsen peroyvind at mandriva.org
Thu Dec 22 10:28:25 CET 2011

Den 14:13 17. desember 2011 skrev Maarten Vanraes <alien at rmail.be> følgende:
> Hi all,
>
> Annsi, misc and myself were discussing obsoletes, and i think we should make a
> policy for a structured comment, so that later (in some timeperiod that's as
> of yet unspecified) we can remove older obsoletes in a structured way.
>
> I propose we put a comment in the spec file, with the version the package will
> be first used, so likely that is cauldron, so example:
>
> # Obsoletes: mga2
> (before the obsolete line)
>

> if noone objects, we can put the policy on the wiki somewhere

You could always comparing the metadata of different stable releases to try
determine the age of these. I remember discussing this with pixel a
few years ago,
but it wasn't really an important issue and never given any priority,
but implementing
automated tests for this in ie. the youri(-related) tools would
probably be a good idea. :)

--
Regards,
Per Øyvind