[Mageia-dev] Issues with dracut

David W. Hodgins davidwhodgins at gmail.com
Sun Dec 18 01:04:20 CET 2011

On Sat, 17 Dec 2011 15:21:14 -0500, Colin Guthrie <mageia at colin.guthr.ie> wrote:

> Dracut should install all dynamic libs needed by apps. Which app needs
> this library specifically?

When I tried to boot after running dracut with the default config, I
was dropped to a shell, with the non-lvm root mounted.

I then tried running "/sbin/lvm vgchange -a y --ignorelockingfailure",
and it failed due to the missing libncursesw.so.5 module.

Now that I think about it, a bit more, I think I had already been
chrooted into the root, so since /usr hadn't been mounted, of course
the module could not be accessed.  Something else must have gone wrong
before the chroot, that I didn't see.

> So I've got the necessary lib... I wonder if this is a side effect of me
> having lib64ncursesw-devel-5.9-2.mga2 installed (i.e. the dev package)?
> Perhaps it's someone the key to including the right lib? Perhaps you can
> test by installing the 32 bit devel package and seeing if the lib is
> then included automatically?

I'll test that, and report back.

Regards, Dave Hodgins