[Mageia-dev] proposal regarding (packager) mentoring program coordinator

andre999 andr55 at laposte.net
Fri Jul 1 13:23:43 CEST 2011

Anne Nicolas a écrit :

> Le 1 juil. 2011 08:44, "Daniel Kreuter" <daniel.kreuter85 at googlemail.com
> <mailto:daniel.kreuter85 at googlemail.com>> a écrit :
>  >
>  > Am 06/29/2011 11:27 PM, schrieb andre999:
>  >
>  >> Note that if someone shows an interest in getting involved with Mageia,
>  >> we don't have to focus only on packaging. We need all sorts of
>  >> contributions, and it would be useful to packagers to have other
>  >> experiences, such as bug triaging and QA. So far, it seems everyone it
>  >> the team is taking such an approach.
>  >>
>  >
>  > Someone who is only a developer should also have experience with
> packaging.
>  >

> Maybe not in as an advanced packager but at least main policies what can
> help to have cleaner code for integration in distribution. Which make
> life easier for packager

Even from my limited packaging experience, I see that.
In some cases I couldn't package a newer version of an older package (which I
had easily packaged), because of some unknown changes upstream.
(Although I don't doubt that with more time and experience I would have succeeded.)
There were also a lot of chaotic spec files, which needed a lot of cleaning.

It's important to have clear, well-defined policies.
I'm doing my best to help.  But we wouldn't be where we are without a lot of key
people.
Including our president :)

--
André