[Mageia-dev] Anybody having high CPU by kded4 after upgrading to 4.6.90?

Balcaen John mikala at mageia.org
Fri Jul 1 17:44:30 CEST 2011

On Friday 01 July 2011 05:26:19 Radu-Cristian FOTESCU wrote:
> > So then how are you going to test the functionality without testing it ?
>
> So what am I supposed to be testing? Apart that it doesn't kill my CPU, and
> that packaging etc. is correct, what is the _functionality_ to be tested?
> It's not documented, not even upstream. Just a commit from last September.
> > Even if we're not going to keep it why should not we test it on
> > cauldron since cauldron is cauldron ?

> Cauldron or not, what can be tested in an addition that nobody knows what
> functionality it's _supposed_ to bring?
[...]
ntrack is supposed to provide more information regarding connection/route
change for desktop applications & such so we'll probably see applications or
developpers used it later. If we can provide by default an environnement so
developers can use it (aka no need to recompile/add 'x' br) if it's not a
burden for end users why not providing it ?
As i said earlier it's cauldron, so we can add it & remove build dependency
even more use it to report bug upstream if something is broken /not working as
expected. From my point of view it's allow us to have eventually more
interaction from upstream as a distribution trying to follow upstream as much
as possible & then probably get more developers using our distribution.
Anyway it just seems

> Not to minimize your work as a packager. But I _feel_ (I didn't say
> _believe_) that, with huge projects such as KDE4, adding a non-mandatory
> dependency should be pondered on more carefully that with small projects --
> because of the impact.
Well i guess  it was a little bit tested before getting merged in kde master
even as an optionnal buildrequires. if it was such problematic i guess it
would not have been merged or dropped after...

--
Balcaen John
Jabber ID: mikala at jabber.littleboboy.net